Safe Amalgam Removal

OR CALL : (516) 441-2214

mercury vapors being discharged from a tooth

Millions of dentists around the world routinely use dental amalgam as a filling material in decayed teeth. Often referred to as “silver fillings,” all dental amalgams actually consist of 45-55% metallic mercury. Mercury is a neurotoxin that can cause harm to humans, especially children, pregnant women, and fetuses. Mercury particulate and mercury vapor can be continuously discharged from amalgam fillings, thus directly exposing people to mercury as a result of their amalgam fillings.  Mercury output can be exacerbated by the number of fillings, chewing, grinding, brushing, and the consumption of hot liquids.  In addition, mercury is also known to be released during its placement, replacement, and removal.

To prevent additional mercury exposure, IAOMT dentists are properly trained in mercury filling removal. Patients should inquire about the following amalgam removal protocols: 

  •  Utilizing an efficient suction system in the oral cavity with a special tip or its equivalent to contain amalgam particles and mercury vapor. 
  • Operating a vacuum system at maximum efficiency. 
  • Applying copious amount of water to the filling during removal. 
  • Removing the amalgam in large segments to minimize the generation of mercury vapor and amalgam particulate. 
  • Providing the patient and the dental staff with a mercury free source of air. 
  • Protecting the environment with approved mercury recycling equipment.